I made a card game to share my learning about To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
Here is the first draft of instructions for playing the game:
In TKAM, the card game, your objective is to have as many characters as possible at the end of the game.
To start, give each player 3 cards, and put a character card in front of them. If any of the cards in your hand are event or letter cards, shuffle them back into the deck and draw a new one. Continue this until you all have non-event cards in your hand. Then the player with the strongest sense of justice goes first.
On your turn you can do these things, in this order:
- Draw a card (This is not mandatory). If it is an event card, resolve its effect immediately, otherwise, put it into your hand.
- Play any number of cards (This is not mandatory). Resolve the effects of them one at a time.
- Discard down to 8 cards, or less (This action is mandatory).
The game ends when all the letter cards have been drawn.
When the game ends, the person with the most character cards wins. If there is tie, whoever has Scout wins. If is still a tie, whoever has the least cards in their hand wins.
States that a character can be in:
- Free. This is the basic state that a character is in when it enters play. It can be affected by attacks, and it counts toward the number of characters that you have at the end of the game
- Protected. This is the state a character is in when a protection card is placed on it. It is immune to some attacks, and also counts toward the characters that you have at the end of the game.
- Trapped. This is the state a character is in when a Location card or Morality card are placed on it. When in this state, it is immune to almost all effects, but does not count toward the number of characters that you have at the end of the game.
The “Mockingbird” card:
This card can be used as any card that leaves play immediately. It could not be a character, location, etc.
The “Scout” card:
This card is not affected by any type of card, including protection cards, excluding Boo Radley. Boo Radley is the only card that can affect Scout.
*These instructions will be updated as I play test the game with people.